Led by Judge Ron Cable
In October 2021, Judge Ron Cable created a court-sponsored program entitled Connect for developmentally disabled individuals in the criminal justice system.
Who does Connect serve?
Connect serves individuals adjudicated in the Akron Municipal Court who are primarily diagnosed with a developmental disability and are receiving services or eligible to receive services from a Developmental Disabilities Board. Examples would be those individuals with autism, Down syndrome, communication disorders and other developmental disabilities. Many individuals may also have an accompanying mental health diagnosis. Other potentially eligible individuals will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
What are the graduation requirements?
- The person has demonstrated a substantial period of time with no criminal justice involvement.
- The person has attended most of the scheduled judicial status reviews.
- The person is complying with their case management plan and community programming.
- The person is following the recommended treatment provided by their treatment team.
Meet the Connect Advisory Board
Court Leaders/Organizations Represented
- The Honorable Ron Cable, Judge, Akron Municipal Court
- Magistrate Jennifer D. Towell
- Akron Municipal Court Probation Department
- Autism Society of Greater Akron
- Blick Center
- City of Akron Prosecutor’s Office
- Copley-Fairlawn City Schools
- Down Syndrome Association of Northeast Ohio
- Empower Sports
- The Goodwill Industries of Greater Akron, Ohio, Inc.
- Milestones Autism Resources
- Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities
- Oriana House, Inc.
- Summit County ADM Board
- Summit Educational Service Center
- Summit County Prosecutor's Office
- Summit County Public Defender’s Office
- Summit County Probate Court
- Summit County Board of Developmental Disabilities
- United Disability Services
- University of Akron, School of Social Work and Family Sciences
- David George, Parent and President of Bell Music Company
- Jillian Pelland, Occupational Therapist
- Patti Schachter, Parent and Former Legal Defender
- Autumn Ziemba McKenzie, Parent and Special Needs Advocate
For more information about Connect, please call Judge Cable’s courtroom directly at 330.375.2053.