How Do I...

How do I get to the Akron Municipal Court?

Harold K. Stubbs Justice Center
217 South High Street
Akron, Ohio 44308

The Courts and Court Offices are located on the 7th Floor, 8th Floor, 9th Floor and Mezzanine Level.

There are maps and directions on this site to help you get to the Akron Municipal Court and locate nearby parking facilities.


How do I change my court date over the phone?

The only way to change your court date is to appear in person or have your attorney appear for you to request a change of court date from a judge. Report to the Clerk of Courts Office and personnel there will pull your case and direct you to the correct judge.


How do I get married by a Judge at the Akron Municipal Court?

To be married by a Judge at the Akron Municipal Court: 

  • First, you need to pay the Wedding Fee to the Clerk of Courts, Civil Division. If you live in Akron Municipal Court's jurisdiction the fee is $25.00. If you live outside of the Akron Municipal Court's jurisdiction the fee is $40.00. 
  • All payments must be in cash. Checks and credit card are not accepted for Marriage Fees.
  • After paying your Wedding Fee you will then be able to schedule your wedding date with the Service Bailiff's Office.
  • Generally, weddings are scheduled 2-3 weeks from time of payment.


How do I know how much do I owe on a waiverable citation?

Please visit the Clerk of Courts portion of our website and choose the corresponding waiver costs.


How do I know what I must do when I come to the Court as specified by my citation, assignment notice, letter or cash bond form?

Report to the Clerk of Courts Office for direction to the courtroom where your hearing will be held, report to the courtroom and check-in with the bailiff on duty. 


How do I know what is considered proper identification when appearing at the Clerk of Courts Office?

  • DO NOT use nicknames or alias
  • Use the same spelling as listed on your paperwork
  • If name or address is incorrect, advise the court so it may be corrected.


How do I know what must I bring to Court?

You must bring any relevant paperwork having to do with your case, such as:

  • Copy of Citation
  • Any written communication from the Court
  • Bond papers and receipts
  • Documents of proof for compliance of judicial order or sentence
  • Adequate funds to pay fines and costs


How do I know how long I should I plan to be in Court?

As a defendant, expect to be in Court for a substantial portion of the day to take care of all possible matters.


How do I know the different possible hearings?

  • Arraignment - Reading of your Constitutional rights, reading of the charges, entering a plea.
  • Pretrial Hearing - A conference between parties (prosecutor, and defendant or attorney for defendant) regarding the settlement of the case.
  • Trial - The examination of the evidence and the decisions of the issues of law by a Judge or Jury to determine guilt or innocence. 
  • Post Judgement Hearing - Any hearing after sentencing that would require a modification, review or change in the Court's Order.


I forgot to pay my citation on time. How do I know where to mail it on the court date?

If you have a waiverable citation and have not paid the fines by the court date, the Clerk of Courts Office must receive your payment within ten days of your original court date.


I forgot to show my insurance card to the officer and was told if I bring it in, I can just pay my fine. How do I know if this is correct?

Yes, if you have a waiverable citation you can mail or bring in a copy of your insurance card or policy showing coverage for the date of your violation.


Will my fine be different if I come to court? How do I know how much money to bring?

The Judge determines the fine amount in court and there is no way of knowing what you will pay prior to your court appearance. The Judge reviews the records, listens to your comments, and bases his/her decision on all the information given. If you do not have money on the date of your appearance, the Court will allow you additional time to pay your fine. This is referred to as payment agreement. There is a $20.00 fee for being placed on a payment plan.


I did not have insurance on the day I received my citation. How do I know if my license will be suspended and for how long?

Your license will be suspended for 90 days by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.


How do I get driving privileges while my license is suspended?

Contact the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.


How do I pay my fines?

  • The Clerk of Courts accepts payment by cash, check, money order or Visa/MasterCard. Checks and money orders should be payable to the Akron Municipal Court, and can be mailed. Please include a copy of the citation or the citation number on the check. 
  • Court Costs are a minimum of $62.00  for all Criminal and Traffic Cases (including charges that can be waived). These costs cannot be waived if a person is found guilty, unless the Court makes a determination that the person is indigent.
  • If you go to trial there may be additional cost incurred for the subpoenas; witness fees; etc. These fees are in addition to the minimum $62.00 costs.


How do I know what happens if I plead not guilty?

  • If you wish to plead not guilty you must appear in court on the date and time specified on the citation and enter a verbal not guilty plea.
  • Your case will then be assigned to a Judge and you will be given a date for another court appearance to the assigned Judge. 


How do I know what holidays the court observes?

  • First day of January (New Year's Day)
  • Third Monday in January (Martin Luther King Day)
  • Third Monday in February (President's Day)
  • Last Monday in May (Memorial Day)
  • Fourth day of July (Independence Day)
  • First Monday in September (Labor Day)
  • Second Monday in October (Columbus Day)
  • Eleventh day of November (Veterans Day)
  • Fourth Thursday in November (Thanksgiving Day)
  • Friday after Fourth Thursday in November (Day after Thanksgiving)
  • Twenty-fifth day of December (Christmas Day)

If any foregoing holiday falls on a Saturday, it shall be observed on the preceding Friday. If any foregoing holiday falls on a Sunday, it shall be observed on the following Monday.