Public Notice - Guidance for members of the public in response to the COVID-19

Akron Municipal Court is taking precautions to maintain a safe and healthy court for everyone in response to the COVID-19.  We will actively coordinate with other governmental agencies to ensure that we are following up to date guidance in our response.

As the situation is quickly evolving, we will keep the public informed on our website and our social media channels (Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter).

Janitorial staff will be disinfecting door handles, elevator buttons, and surfaces in public areas of the courthouse.  Visitors are encouraged to use of the hand sanitizer dispensers located in the main hallways, by the elevators, on the 7th floor, 8th floor, and 9th floors, as well as in the Probation department on the mezzanine floor.

As always, wash your hands often, avoid touching your face, and cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue.  Additional guidance on how to protect yourself and others is available from the Summit County Public Health website:

We encourage the public to follow the guidance of the Summit County Public Health and stay home if you are sick or experiencing symptoms such as a cough, fever, or other respiratory problems.  If you have court business and are in the higher risk group, you should reschedule. 

People at higher risk include:

  • People 60 and older
  • People with underlying health conditions including heart disease, lung disease, or diabetes
  • People who have weakened immune systems
  • People who are pregnant

Effective immediately, individuals scheduled in the court should not bring children or other people into the building with them.  The court will restrict access to the courtrooms to those individuals with court related matters only.

What if I have a hearing for a civil, criminal or small claims/eviction case or need to file paperwork?
Individuals wishing to file civil/small claims/ eviction paperwork are encouraged to send documents by mail to the Clerk of Court.

Please contact your attorney as soon as possible to reschedule your hearing if you are sick or if you are in a higher risk category of severe illness. Your attorney will contact the court. If you have a public defender and do not know how to contact your attorney, please go to this website: or call (330) 434-3461.  If you are not represented by an attorney, please contact the following offices:

  • Small Claims/ Eviction Cases– (330) 375-2285
  • Civil Cases– (330) 375-2592
  • Criminal Cases– (330) 375-2592
  • Judges Courtrooms – (330) 375-2120

Attorneys: If you or your client is sick or in a higher risk group, contact opposing counsel and the court to request a continuance. You can do this via fax, email, or by mail if you are unable to come to court.

What if I am scheduled to attend a session with Mental Health Court, Family Intervention Court, Recovery Court, OVI Court, VALOR Court, RISE, or Peace of Mind program?
If you are sick or in a higher risk group, please contact the court for further instructions by calling (330) 375 -2120.  You can also contact the court by mail.

What if I have an appointment with my probation officer?
As soon as possible, we are extending telephone reporting to as many people as possible.  We will be contacting individuals directly with more information.  If you have questions, please call the probation office at (330) 375-4926.

What if I am scheduled for a wedding ceremony?
Please call (330) 375-2592 to reschedule existing appointments if you are sick or if you are in a higher risk category.  All new appointments are suspended until further notice.  We advise you to contact the Summit County Probate Court at (330) 643-2352 with questions about marriage licenses.

What if I have jury duty?
All jury trials are suspended until April 6, 2020.  Please call Summit County Court of Common Pleas Jury Commissioner at (330) 643-2286 with questions

What if I have a Traffic ticket and my case is scheduled for an arraignment, trial or other hearing in Traffic Court?
Arraignment: People who receive a traffic ticket can plead guilty and pay the ticket without a court appearance unless the officer indicates you must appear on the ticket. 

If you can pay without an appearance, you can see the fine amount, including costs, at

Visit the portion of our website if you want to view costs.

You can pay your ticket at with a Visa or MasterCard, by mail, or in person at the Traffic Violations Bureau drop box located in the Lobby (1st Floor) of the Harold K. Stubbs Justice Center.

If you are required to appear for your traffic ticket, you can request a continuance by mail or fax.  You should request this before your arraignment date.  Fax requests must be sent to the Clerk of Court (330) 375-2427.

People who want to plead not guilty to the charge(s) should mail in a written request before the court date listed on the ticket.  Failure to mail in a written response may result in the forfeiture of your driver’s license. This process will allow you to dispute your ticket without coming to the courthouse. This policy is effective as of March 12, 2020.

People who want to plead guilty or plead no contest and explain their circumstances should mail in a written request to the court before the date listed on the appearance citation.  Failure to mail in a written response may result in forfeiture of your driver’s license.

Traffic Court Trials, Parking Hearings, Driving Privileges and all other hearings already scheduled in Traffic Court:
All cases that are currently scheduled in Traffic Court between March 17, 2020 and April 3, 2020 will be continued.  The court will notify everyone by mail of the new court date.  

What if I need to pay a traffic ticket/fine or discuss payment arrangements, community service, or what I need to do to get a valid driver’s license or driving privileges
Effective March 16, 2020, Traffic Court walk-ins to discuss payment arrangements, community service, requirements to obtain a valid driver’s license, or any other Traffic Court issue, are suspended.  If you want to have these issues addressed, you must mail in or fax a request to the Magistrate.  Please note that if you want to change your payment arrangements from community service to a payment plan, you must make a payment that day.

If you have questions about what you need to do to get a valid driver’s license, you can also call the Ohio BMV or visit their website.  If you still have questions, please call our main Traffic line at (330) 375-2005 during business hours of 8am – 4pm to speak with a representative.

You can pay tickets online at or by mail.  If you cannot pay a ticket or fine, please call (330) 375-2005 to discuss your options.